Brook-Lea Country Club Salmonella Outbreak LawsuitsIn the summer of 2002, over 100 members of the Brook-Lea Country Club and guests who had attended events at the club became ill with Salmonella infections. The Monroe County Health Department (MCHD) investigated the outbreak, and determined that food served at Brook-Lea was the source.
At least 95 Salmonella cases were both culture-confirmed and linked epidemiologically to the consumption of food at Brook-Lea between June 1 and June 18. MCHD conducted an inspection of the Brook-Lea kitchen and reviewed food-handling procedures with kitchen workers while the kitchen was closed and disinfected by a commercial company to prevent the further spread of Salmonella.
A smaller outbreak of Salmonella illnesses associated with the consumption of food at Brook-Lea occurred a few weeks later, yielding six more cases. Four of the cases were Brook-Lea employees. Overall, 106 confirmed cases of Salmonella food poisoning in people residing in Monroe County and the surrounding area were linked to the Brook-Lea Country Club.
Marler Clark’s Salmonella lawyers represented 70 victims of the Brook-Lea Salmonella outbreak in litigation against the country club. The law firm settled the cases of all clients in 2003.